If we are going to interact with horses naturally, we need to know how horses feel, think, act and play naturally!
- Next we need to learn how prey animals (horses) interact naturally with predators (humans)
- Opposition reflex is just that, when a predator wants its prey to go left, its reflex tells it to go right. Natural opposition. It's not bad or wrong it's DNA. Mother Nature saving the prey from the predator.
After we have these basic understandings you'll begin to see that there are no bad horses only misunderstanding between prey animals and predators. In the world of natural horsemanship, there are no rules only guiding principles.
There is a system that works with every horse. However the predator must learn what is natural to prey animals because reading the intention of the predator is built into the DNA of the prey animal. There is nowhere to hide your emotions or thoughts. This is a journey of self discovery and transformation!
There are three fundamental ways horses interact with one another- Rhythmic motion, Rhythmic pressure and Steady pressure. Herds of horses are like schools of fish or flocks of birds, they move together in harmony using feel and energy. You will learn your place in the herd. Every horse is a natural born follower looking for a natural born leader!
There are four major areas of study: Foundation - Finished
- Online - We use different lengths of lines to allow horses to move in all directions freely. With practice a horseman acquires nice rope handling skills. These rope handling skills improve balance timing and feel in all areas of life where spacial awareness is valuable. This is where you and your horses learn to be calmer, braver, smarter and more athletic! Natural opposition reflex is diminished.
- Liberty - No ropes at all, this is where you get to see what you've built on line. What relationship do you have? Is it one built in trust and want to or have you been forcing. Have you been clear? This is the truth.
- Riding freestyle - This is where you learn to trust what you've built on the ground - on the horses back. Freestyle is riding bridle less, with neck ropes, halters, and natural rope hackamores. This is where the horse and rider learn self-carriage, natural impulsion, independence and harmony as one.
- Riding with Finesse - This is concentrated riding, an intimate dance. This is where we learn about bits and refined communication, natural collection.
You will learn to be safe and have fun with horses!
In the Company of Horses
32 Swedes Bridge Rd.
Mannington Twp, NJ 08079